Skip to main content

Surgery Day

I arrived at HSS at 6 am and was brought back to pre-op. My medical history was taken, IV started, yadda yadda ya. All the my different doctors and residents came to talk to me, then it was off to the OR.

Instead of taking 1.5-2 hours the surgery took over 3 hours, I was out for over 4 hours. I woke up in quite a bit of pain because the spinal had worn off quite a bit since I had been under for so long. I had to eat half a cheese sandwich before I could take any pain meds. At this point my mouth was really dry (it is still pretty dry),  but I also really wanted the pain meds. So I ate the stupid sandwich, sipping juice in between each bite and the nurse was like "wow you are really hungry" I really wanted to shout at her "No I just really want the pills!" but I used my better judgment and did not. Finally she handed over the meds but I think they didn't do much so she gave another kind as well. I was in a lot of pain at this point. I also want to say the hospital rabbi came by at this point but the nurse manage to get him away. No offence but how many people want a chaplain to be the first person they see after surgery?

Finally at some point my mom came into the recovery room. Then my OS's PA came in but I was surprised when she came because she was a new PA, not the one I expect. I later learned the old PA moved away and it was the new one's 2nd day by herself. Anyway at some point my aunt switched with my mom and then later yet they left for a while to go get lunch. Sometime while I was in the recovery room my OS came and told me that my hip was in worse shape then he had thought but on the good side there was absolutely no signs of arthritis (no one thought there was in my hips but confirmation in always welcome). Also during my time in recovery it was decided I would stay overnight. After spending over five hours in the recovery room (the beds on both sides of me turned over three times while I was there) I was finally transferred to the pediatrics unit.

In the pediatrics unit I had the best nurse. I was also given a pain pump which really helped get the pain under control. They also gave me dinner, which was chicken nuggets and fries, I don't think anyone comes out of surgery and says "lets go eat some fried food." I tried to eat some of the roll but my mouth was still too dry and since there was no pain meds at stake this time I gave up and stuck to the vanilla pudding. After some time on the CPM machine and Bunheads I went to sleep.

The medieval torture device, I mean CPM machine. 
I only was able to sleep in about hour increments, I would sleep then go on my cell or my mom's I-pad a little then back to sleep. At one point I watched the Colbert Report.

I was going to write about today but I am just too tired so I will write tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Swollen Wrist

This morning I woke up to a red painful swollen wrist. My right wrist was not happy or useable for the better part of the morning. Of course my mom wanted to make a rheumatologist appointment for this week but I really did not think it is worth it. Since I am now in the 2 week period before my hip surgery I can not take anything but Tylenol anyway (no voltaren or fancy cream), so there is not a whole lot that can be done. We finally settled on me going to my GP (for the 2nd time in one week as I had a pre-op appointment with him on Monday), and I took a picture so I can show my rheumy at my next appointment. I managed to get an appointment at 11AM because my GP was in the office this Saturday. By the time of the appointment my wrist looked pretty normal, although I had the picture so he could see something was up. He had it x-rayed just to rule out any issues non rheumatology related, and as we both guessed the x-rays came out normal. My Lovely Wrist this Morning I was left wit

Spring Break!

Ok so my spring break may not of been the most exciting, as I think I spent more time at PT then anywhere else, but it was nice not to spend the entire time in bed because of pain. In fact my heat pad only came out like once, what is this craziness? PT has been going great since I stopped flaring! As of Wednesday I am doing every exercise I had to stop because of my knees during the flare, plus new exercise. I am finally done doing pillow squeezes and glute sets, I now have very few table exercises. As of next week I am down to only two PT appoints a week instead of three, which means I won't have to go before school anymore! I did do something besides PT this week, I went prom dress shopping! I found a gorgeous blue and white open back gown. I am not going to post a picture until after prom but I love it. It fit perfectly but if I gain an ounce it will be an issue or if my hips choose to swell prom night. I also have amazing shoe, they are silver stilettos and over 3 inches ta

The Perfect Body?

Today I am going to write about a taboo subject- body image, and how living with chronic illness/pain has affected it. I get told how great my body is a lot, I am tall and fairly skinny. Not to be egotistic but I look pretty good in a bikini. I should love how I look. I should be confident of my body, after all I just bought a pair of size 2 jeans. Yet I still struggle with loving my body. My New Jeans! In middle school I thought my legs were fat, that was when I had muscles from horseback riding, today I miss my muscular legs. My thighs tend to be two different sizes, the left one is almost always smaller. The reason for this is simple, my left quad has atrophied from months of limping and being on crutches when I was 15/16, at one point it was so bad my doctor measured it and the difference was a good 2 cm in circumference. Today they are almost the same size, and probably look the same to anyone else, but to me they still look different. If you haven't guessed it yet,