Skip to main content

Please, Don't Give Me Any More Advice!

"Have you been tested for Lyme? Did you send your test results to a lab here or in California? You know, 30% of all test come back negative and are really positive, but this lab in California is much more reliable, they caught mine. I will tell your mother about the lab."

"Have you seen a chiropractor yet? Maybe your back is causing the problems, a chiropractor could give you exercises to help."

One more unsolicited piece of medical advice may just push me over the edge. After spending all day with family for my birthday, I am ready to deck someone. I know they all care and are just looking out for me, but at the same time can we talk about something else please?

When someone has at least one doctor's appointment a week, chances are they really do not want to talk about anything medical related unless they bring it up. Between different doctors and PTs there are already enough opinions floating around in their heads, they do not need another one.

Unsolicited medical advice tends to fall into one of two, the 'not exactly true/ I have known that for years' category  or the 'I am pretty sure you are crazy' category or if you are really lucky it could fit in both.

Not exactly true/ I have known that for years- This encoumpasses all common knowlege advice such as "multiple joints could mean there is something systemic." Yes it does, since you realize this the doctor has also, not so shockingly, came to this conclusion. Some of these statements aren't always factual either, such as the "maybe it is a nerve problem," thanks but no thanks, pretty sure that cartilage damage on the MRI proved otherwise.

I am pretty sure you are crazy- This sums up what I will think if you suggest I participate is a healing circle or any activity of that nature. Yes I will probably agree to it, but if you perform reiki on me I will sit there than entire time trying to figure out how to get out of 'trying' it again without offending you. So if you do believe reiki or healing circles work, I am very happy they helped you, but if you suggested it to someone else, just because they are too polite to say they think you are crazy does not mean they aren't thinking it.

So next time you want to put in your two cents on someones medical mystery please consider if they really will find it helpful or want to hear it, because being constantly given advice can do more harm than good to someone's mental health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Swollen Wrist

This morning I woke up to a red painful swollen wrist. My right wrist was not happy or useable for the better part of the morning. Of course my mom wanted to make a rheumatologist appointment for this week but I really did not think it is worth it. Since I am now in the 2 week period before my hip surgery I can not take anything but Tylenol anyway (no voltaren or fancy cream), so there is not a whole lot that can be done. We finally settled on me going to my GP (for the 2nd time in one week as I had a pre-op appointment with him on Monday), and I took a picture so I can show my rheumy at my next appointment. I managed to get an appointment at 11AM because my GP was in the office this Saturday. By the time of the appointment my wrist looked pretty normal, although I had the picture so he could see something was up. He had it x-rayed just to rule out any issues non rheumatology related, and as we both guessed the x-rays came out normal. My Lovely Wrist this Morning I was left wit

The Perfect Body?

Today I am going to write about a taboo subject- body image, and how living with chronic illness/pain has affected it. I get told how great my body is a lot, I am tall and fairly skinny. Not to be egotistic but I look pretty good in a bikini. I should love how I look. I should be confident of my body, after all I just bought a pair of size 2 jeans. Yet I still struggle with loving my body. My New Jeans! In middle school I thought my legs were fat, that was when I had muscles from horseback riding, today I miss my muscular legs. My thighs tend to be two different sizes, the left one is almost always smaller. The reason for this is simple, my left quad has atrophied from months of limping and being on crutches when I was 15/16, at one point it was so bad my doctor measured it and the difference was a good 2 cm in circumference. Today they are almost the same size, and probably look the same to anyone else, but to me they still look different. If you haven't guessed it yet,

Spring Break!

Ok so my spring break may not of been the most exciting, as I think I spent more time at PT then anywhere else, but it was nice not to spend the entire time in bed because of pain. In fact my heat pad only came out like once, what is this craziness? PT has been going great since I stopped flaring! As of Wednesday I am doing every exercise I had to stop because of my knees during the flare, plus new exercise. I am finally done doing pillow squeezes and glute sets, I now have very few table exercises. As of next week I am down to only two PT appoints a week instead of three, which means I won't have to go before school anymore! I did do something besides PT this week, I went prom dress shopping! I found a gorgeous blue and white open back gown. I am not going to post a picture until after prom but I love it. It fit perfectly but if I gain an ounce it will be an issue or if my hips choose to swell prom night. I also have amazing shoe, they are silver stilettos and over 3 inches ta