The first few days after moving in can be overwhelming for any college student but having a chronic illness can take it to a whole new level. Here are some tips to make your first couple weeks on campus successful-
- Set up your medication at a close to campus pharmacy. If there is a retail chain that is both near your school and your home I suggest going there over student health. By using a chain pharmacy it makes getting refills at home or at school easier.
- Set guidelines and boundaries with your roommate(s). This is a good time to have a more in-depth conversation about your health and explain your chronic illness. Communicate how that may effect living with you, such as what times/how much sleep you need, if you have to be extra careful about being sick due to being immunosupprested, allergies, etc.
- Before classes start walk through the campus and buildings to see where all your classes are. Make sure you know how long it takes to get to each class without having to rush of stress out. Nothing is worse than being late on the first day.
- Once classes starts make sure you talk to your professors about your health issues and how that may affect you, remember you don't have to disclose why you have accommodations if you don't feel comfortable. My school sends an email to my professors that I control, like which accommodations appear on the letter sent to the professor and when it is sent. I like to sent it the week before classes start. Then after my first class I go up to my professor to either talk about my accommodations or set up a time during their office hours to talk about them.
- Remember your self care routines! Try to stay on somewhat of a schedule, remember your meds, get enough sleep, and eat something that almost resembles a veggie. I know this sounds basic but especially in the first few days/week after move in but before classes start days and lights tend to get messed up and all norms that keep your body functioning get thrown to the wind.
Now take a deep breath and good luck!
|Good Old Freshman Dorn!|