Skip to main content

Navigating Job Interviews and a New Job With a Chronic Illness


I while back at my first appointment with my PCP he said how amazed he was that I loved a fairly typical life and my new adolescent medicine doctors expressed similar sentiments when I first saw them. The thing is, I have fought to live my life the way I do. I have taken some risk in achieving the  quality of life I have that some people or doctors do not want to take on such as a central line. However I constantly refuse to say no just because of chronic illness. For long time readers you may remember a while back I took up running, I mostly just did that because for the 1st time in years I was completely cleared for all physical activity.

When I started looking for a summer job I mostly looked for part time positions that could accommodate my doctor's appointments and even looked at office jobs that would be easier on me physically than the childcare ones I rather be at. However there was one job I applied to that is practically full time at 37.5 hours a week as a camp counselor at the local science museum. Perhaps not the best fit in terms of my medical issues but this was really the job I wanted. I applied, if I didn't I would be sure to regret it. I also applied else where.

After my interview I was told it would be at least 2 weeks before a decision would be made. In that time I had other interviews, for jobs that would probably be easier to handle with my medical issues, shorter days and more flexible hours. The week before I was supposed to hear back I received a call, I had gotten the job. All sort of thoughts ran through my head. I asked if I could call back the next day with my answer, telling myself I should really wait to hear back from the daycare I interviewed at that morning. However I soon realized what really held me back from saying yes was my concerns about making it work with all my health stuff. So the same day I called back and accepted the position. All of this took place in the time between my appointments at CHOP.

Exploring the Museum At Night
To say I had concerns and doubts about my choice was an understatement. In an appointment with my PCP I mentioned the situation and my worries but that I didn't want them to hold me back. Thankfully he agreed and let me cancel my next appointment with him since I was also going to see his colleague in adolescent medicine around the same time. And slowly but sure I managed to rearrange my other appointments and went from having 6 days of appointments in June to just two, which I am getting off. All I needed to do was email my boss saying what days I had appointments.

The other major issue I had was telling my boss about my medical issues. I legal do not have to disclose anything but I knew I would be less stressed out and more likely to stay if I felt comfortable running IV fluids and tube feeds at work. This was the first time I had faced some of these issues since I have pretty much had most of my jobs that I do during the school year pre-feeding tube. Going in to all my interviews I covered everything up. While I am legally protected against discrimination do to medical issues if I do not get offered a job there is a million other excuses that can be used but once I have a job it is a lot harder to be fired sue to medical issues. During training I informed my boss about my port and feeding tube and she was very chill about it and said I could use her office if I need to connect or disconnect at work. Overall everything seems to be working out really well and I officially start Monday and could not be more excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why the ACA (aka Obamacare) Matters

This may be the only place I refrain from talking about politics, which my friends and family can vouch for as most of them are very close to unfriending me on Facebook due to my seemingly never ending post on Facebook about the current political happenings. One reason I am taking to my blog right now is because my blog is all about my health and my health is now being effected by politics. Both in the most immediate sense of how stressed I am and the toll it has taken on my body (PT the day after the election was rough to put it mildly) and the more theoretical looming idea of the possibility of the Affordable Care Act being repealed.

There are so many ways I have benefited from the ACA. Quite honestly it is the reason I currently have health insurance and as an extension of that, healthcare. Fist off my parents are self employed therefore we purchased our health insurance off the exchange (and this year I will have my own exchange plan so I have one in PA). Next off this semester du…

Left Hip Scope Surgery and Day 1 Post Op

I am home from the hospital from hip surgery number two! I probably wouldn't of stayed over night except my surgery wasn't till 3:30 pm.

The big discussion pre-op was what kind of anesthesia I should get because I got a spinal headache from the spinal block last time. My OS was still adamant that he thought I should avoid the general. I was also really scared about the general because I had been told it meant I would need to be intubated which I did not want.

When I talked to the anesthesiologist he had a very different take on the situation, he said I had a very high risk of getting a spinal headache again because I am above normal height, I am a teenage girl, and I had a spinal headache four months ago. He said if I had a general I may have of miserable night, but that would be compared to three or four miserable days if I got a spinal headache. He also used an IV only version of the anesthesia instead of gas which reduces nausea, plus the fact I do not get nausea from pain…

The Essentials

RA Warrior is doing a blog carnival about non-medical things that help ease some pain or make life a little easier. I have a few golden product so I have decided to participate.


I probably could not function without my Sun Beam Heat Pad. Most nights I can not choose which joint to use it on first. When I got it last year to calm muscle spasms after knee surgery I did not know how much I would use it. There is even a pad inside that you can dampen so you can use it for moist heat. I got it from Wal-Mart and I don't think it was even $15.
This Teavana Tumbler is actually my favorite thing ever. I use it everyday for both tea and coffee. Even before I had problems with my hands I have always been a naturally clumsy person, and leaky travel mugs might hold up for most but for me they have always been a recipe for disaster. Now throw in a pair of crutches to that equation, as I had to for three months last year, and I needed help to carry the travel mugs, because in my bag they would l…