Skip to main content

A Health Update

It's been six months since I last updated my blog so this will be just an update post. I did not even do a year in review for 206, probably because of the last two months being so rough on our country I could not bring myself to think about it.

Since I left you a lot has happened. I finished my last semester of college during which I student taught and then did the whole graduation thing. I also have a lot going on medically.

Student teaching is the reason I did not really blog this past semester. I loved it so much but it was really hard and exhausting. All my energy went in to my students and my assignments as I had to build my senior portfolio. I still cannot wrap my head around the fact it is over and I am a college graduate.

Somehow during student teaching I stayed fairly healthy. I only caught one upper respiratory infection. Of course that was a whole ordeal with breathing issues and a fever which sent me to the ER and an overnight hospital stay. However I only missed one day of student teaching and managed to miss the flu even when 14 of my students had it.

For most of the semester (most of the year really) the combo of Azathioprine/Imuran and Hydrocloroquine/Plaquinel seemed to be keeping the Sjogren's under control. I have actually been able to get myself on only a liter a day or IV fluids and now I am doing 950ml most days, However in the beginning of April things started going south. I had some warning signs before that with my GI tract slowing down and my joints getting stiffer but all the sudden my mouth was full of ulcers. Cue the prednisone. Things that don't go well together- roid rage and 36 fourth graders. All though all things considered I think I handled the steriods well and kept my cool most of the time.

Of course this happened only a couple weeks before my endocrine appointment where I was hoping to finally get cleared from the whole secondary adrenal insufficiency mess but that did not happen thanks to being back on steriods. And dropping under 10mg made my ulcers come back in 2 days, meaning I restarted the burst. The second time around I managed to finish the burst without the re-emergence until the day after I finally got off prednisone.

During this time I saw Neuro for the first time after a 6 month wait to try and deal with my sensory perpherial neuropathy, I was pretty unimpressed, I am positive he did not read my chart before coming in. He seemed to think all my issues were pretty mild and did not need any treatment till he was ordering blood test. He asked about my diet and I explained I was mostly tube fed due to gastroparesis (which is in my chart and I had said). He finally seemed to get how severe my autonomic neuropathy was and said "oh you might actually be a good candidate for IVIG." That has been really hard to try to set up and then insurance denied it so I am now in the appeals process.

I just had a rheumatology appointment Monday and there was a lot going on. My doctor had a resident with him and was pointing out why it took so long for me to be diagnosed with Sjogren's and the difference in disease presentation in the pediatric vs adult population which was great. We discussed my worsening mouth ulcers and neuropathy, which he said is a sign of organ involvement. We briefly discussed IVIG and also Rituxan has been brought up. However the latter is another immunosuppresant and I am currently already struggling to fight infections off so I am not in favor of it. Despite my reservations about all the immunosuppresants my rheum wanted to be more aggressive so he upped my azathrioprine dose.

I think that is a solid summary, Sorry if it is a bit all over the place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Swollen Wrist

This morning I woke up to a red painful swollen wrist. My right wrist was not happy or useable for the better part of the morning. Of course my mom wanted to make a rheumatologist appointment for this week but I really did not think it is worth it. Since I am now in the 2 week period before my hip surgery I can not take anything but Tylenol anyway (no voltaren or fancy cream), so there is not a whole lot that can be done. We finally settled on me going to my GP (for the 2nd time in one week as I had a pre-op appointment with him on Monday), and I took a picture so I can show my rheumy at my next appointment. I managed to get an appointment at 11AM because my GP was in the office this Saturday. By the time of the appointment my wrist looked pretty normal, although I had the picture so he could see something was up. He had it x-rayed just to rule out any issues non rheumatology related, and as we both guessed the x-rays came out normal. My Lovely Wrist this Morning I was left wit

The Perfect Body?

Today I am going to write about a taboo subject- body image, and how living with chronic illness/pain has affected it. I get told how great my body is a lot, I am tall and fairly skinny. Not to be egotistic but I look pretty good in a bikini. I should love how I look. I should be confident of my body, after all I just bought a pair of size 2 jeans. Yet I still struggle with loving my body. My New Jeans! In middle school I thought my legs were fat, that was when I had muscles from horseback riding, today I miss my muscular legs. My thighs tend to be two different sizes, the left one is almost always smaller. The reason for this is simple, my left quad has atrophied from months of limping and being on crutches when I was 15/16, at one point it was so bad my doctor measured it and the difference was a good 2 cm in circumference. Today they are almost the same size, and probably look the same to anyone else, but to me they still look different. If you haven't guessed it yet,

Spring Break!

Ok so my spring break may not of been the most exciting, as I think I spent more time at PT then anywhere else, but it was nice not to spend the entire time in bed because of pain. In fact my heat pad only came out like once, what is this craziness? PT has been going great since I stopped flaring! As of Wednesday I am doing every exercise I had to stop because of my knees during the flare, plus new exercise. I am finally done doing pillow squeezes and glute sets, I now have very few table exercises. As of next week I am down to only two PT appoints a week instead of three, which means I won't have to go before school anymore! I did do something besides PT this week, I went prom dress shopping! I found a gorgeous blue and white open back gown. I am not going to post a picture until after prom but I love it. It fit perfectly but if I gain an ounce it will be an issue or if my hips choose to swell prom night. I also have amazing shoe, they are silver stilettos and over 3 inches ta