Skip to main content

8 Days at CHOP

When I left you (a long time ago, I really need to blog more) I was getting by, just barely but still. Since then things have gone down hill and fast.

About a little more than a month ago the Eythromycin I was taking for my gastroparesis stopped working. The vomiting was back and it was all sorts of horrible. We upped my Periactin dose to no avail. Next we scheduled a upper GI series with small bowel follow through to double check gastroparesis was the culprit. The last ditch attempted was trying Reglan, a drug that passes through the blood brain barrier which gives it a long list of scary side effects, but it didn't help.

Day 1

With my calorie intake down to 300-500 calories a day and not being able to stay hydrated my GI decided I needed to go to the ER and be admitted. So last Thursday my mom and I drove to CHOP in Philly. We got to the ER at 6pm and I was admitted around 10pm. In the ER they started an IV and gave me a bolus dose of fluids. My GI wanted to try two days of IV fluids and meds to see if that helped at all.

Day 2

Friday morning I was the first room the doctors rounded on. At CHOP they do rounds in the hallway, so I got out of bed and with my IV pole and all I went to stand at the door way. As my resident went over my long medical history I started to feel light headed and before I knew it I had fainted. Leave it to me to faint while 10-15 doctors are focused on me. At least I got a fast response from the doctors, My maintenance fluids were upped to 1.5x the normal dose. When my GI came in that afternoon she mentioned the possibility of me having  Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). (note: I have been having bouts of lightheaded/dizziness since December but this was the first time I fainted)
Keeping Busy on Friday


Day 3

Since I had been hooked up to IV fluids for 48 hours and was still only able to manage a few bites of food at a time it was decided I needed a feeding tube. We wanted to do a NJ tube (which goes through your nose and into your small intestines by passing the stomach), but it has to be place by interventional radiology and they are closed of the weekends so we decided to try a NG tube (which goes through your nose into your stomach) first since if by off chance I could tolerate it, it would be better in the long run since I would be able to take it in and out myself. The nurse who put the NG tube in was really awesome and had one herself when she was 13-18 because of crohns.
NG Tube is in...

I also went to the teen room and met another girl who is two years younger than me who also has gastroparesis and possibly POTS, although her POTS symptoms are a lot worse than mine.

Board Games in Hospitals Bio-hazard Bags and All
Day 4

On Sunday I woke up with pain and bloating in my stomach due to the NG tube feeds. On a better note I went with my new friend to the hospital library and we borrowed Lizzie McGuire to watch!
30oz Starbucks! POTS Sized!

Day 5

Monday I was hoping to get my NJ tube but IR could not fit me in till Tuesday. We did stop the NG feeds and I attempted to eat a couple bites here and there. Child life tried to keep me busy all day. I went to a duct tape craft activity and met some younger kids who were also on the GI floor, including a 9 year old boy and his mom who were down the hall from me and were admitted the day after I was and hopefully discharged the day after me as well. That night a friend of mine from Temple came to visit as well and it was nice to see someone I knew from the outside world who was not my mom.

Day 6

Finally I got my NJ tube! It took a little longer than expected. Three hours had past till I was awake again and I had thought I would be out for less than an hour since it was supposed to be shorted than an endoscopy. I also got a knee MRI which was ordered like forever ago but I first tried to fit it in with my work schedule than I needed GI test which took priority (My joints actually aren't bothering me right now but that's a whole post on to itself). Since the MRI was in the Wood's building(its where all the out patient clinics are) at 7 pm every thing was so quite and eerie like we weren't supposed to be there. Although oddly enough the TVs were still on.

Day 7

Although the girl I had befriended earlier in the week was discharged, I made a new friend, Anna, in the teen lounge who not only also had Gastroparesis (and an NJ tube), and possibly POTS (I guess no one has an actual diagnosis), but also AMPS, which is insane (she also has to make an appointment with a Rheumatologist for an eval, can someone say medical soulmates?). We hung out and sharpied her KT tape (my favorite kinesiology accessory, yes I have one and a favorite NSAID too). And to top off the day my best friend from Temple visited me! We totally broke visiting hours cause we are rebels like that...shhh....don't tell!
KT Tape + Sharpies

Day 8

I was hoping to get discharged bright and early but I was told I couldn't be till everything I needed at home was set up and my insurance was being difficult. So I kinda hung out all day. I ventured to the sea garden because a group from a committee I am on for HootaThon was supposed to be there but not enough people could come although I didn't receive the text till I was there already but it was nice to get some fresh air. In the afternoon I was hanging out with Anna and we went down stairs in front of Seacrest Studios and before we knew it we found our selves appearing on CHOP's in house channel, Galaxy 51. Finally at 7:45 I found out I was being discharged!
Tube Twins!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Swollen Wrist

This morning I woke up to a red painful swollen wrist. My right wrist was not happy or useable for the better part of the morning. Of course my mom wanted to make a rheumatologist appointment for this week but I really did not think it is worth it. Since I am now in the 2 week period before my hip surgery I can not take anything but Tylenol anyway (no voltaren or fancy cream), so there is not a whole lot that can be done. We finally settled on me going to my GP (for the 2nd time in one week as I had a pre-op appointment with him on Monday), and I took a picture so I can show my rheumy at my next appointment. I managed to get an appointment at 11AM because my GP was in the office this Saturday. By the time of the appointment my wrist looked pretty normal, although I had the picture so he could see something was up. He had it x-rayed just to rule out any issues non rheumatology related, and as we both guessed the x-rays came out normal. My Lovely Wrist this Morning I was left wit

The Perfect Body?

Today I am going to write about a taboo subject- body image, and how living with chronic illness/pain has affected it. I get told how great my body is a lot, I am tall and fairly skinny. Not to be egotistic but I look pretty good in a bikini. I should love how I look. I should be confident of my body, after all I just bought a pair of size 2 jeans. Yet I still struggle with loving my body. My New Jeans! In middle school I thought my legs were fat, that was when I had muscles from horseback riding, today I miss my muscular legs. My thighs tend to be two different sizes, the left one is almost always smaller. The reason for this is simple, my left quad has atrophied from months of limping and being on crutches when I was 15/16, at one point it was so bad my doctor measured it and the difference was a good 2 cm in circumference. Today they are almost the same size, and probably look the same to anyone else, but to me they still look different. If you haven't guessed it yet,

Spring Break!

Ok so my spring break may not of been the most exciting, as I think I spent more time at PT then anywhere else, but it was nice not to spend the entire time in bed because of pain. In fact my heat pad only came out like once, what is this craziness? PT has been going great since I stopped flaring! As of Wednesday I am doing every exercise I had to stop because of my knees during the flare, plus new exercise. I am finally done doing pillow squeezes and glute sets, I now have very few table exercises. As of next week I am down to only two PT appoints a week instead of three, which means I won't have to go before school anymore! I did do something besides PT this week, I went prom dress shopping! I found a gorgeous blue and white open back gown. I am not going to post a picture until after prom but I love it. It fit perfectly but if I gain an ounce it will be an issue or if my hips choose to swell prom night. I also have amazing shoe, they are silver stilettos and over 3 inches ta